Peaceful Valley Save the Monarch Kit - Midwest to Northeast (1/8 lb)
Monarch butterfly populations are threatened primarily due to reduction in milkweed and nectar producing flowering plants along their migratory routes. Removal of the milkweed plant by farmers and homeowners by using herbicides has resulted in a dramatic reduction in populations of the monarch.
What can you do to help? Plant a mix of seeds to help the monarchs. The mix contains not only milkweed seeds but also seeds that will produce flowers for the adult butterflies to feed. We offer different mixes of seeds depending on your region. Choose from Intermountain, Southeast, California, Midwest-Northeast, Northwest and Southwest Monarch Butterfly Mix. 1/8 lb bag covers 500 sq ft.
Midwest - Northeast Monarch Butterfly Mix contains:
- Dwarf Sunspot Sunflower (Helianthus annuus)
- Zinnia Pumila/Pompn Mix (Zinnia elegans)
- Purple Coneflower (Echinacea purpurea)
- Butterfly Milkweed (Asclepias tuberosa)
- Swamp or Red Milkweed (Asclepias incarnata)
- Dwarf Lance-leaved Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata)
- Praire Aster (rubbed) (Aster tanacetifolius)
- Sweet William (Dianthus barbatus)
- Ox-eye Sunflower (Heliopsis helianthoides)
- Black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia hirta)
- Plains Coreopsis (Coreopsis tinctoria)
- Bee balm, Wild bergamont (Monarda fistulosa)
Photo by Rob Routledge, Sault College, Bugwood.org
Lifecycle of the Monarch – Female monarch butterflies lay three to four hundred of their eggs on the leaves of the milkweed plants. The female will spread her eggs over many milkweed plants. The subsequent larvae will feed on the milkweed leaves during their larval stage and increase their body mass more than two thousand times. The caterpillar will then form a cocoon or chrysalis. The metamorphosis occurs inside the cocoon and after about 9-15 days, the butterfly will emerge.
- Attracts Bees/Butterflies
- Good for Naturalizing
Planting & Care
Loosen the top two inches of soil. Mix seed with 10 parts vermiculite. Broadcast this mix over the area to be planted. Compress soil and lightly cover with compost or straw.
Peaceful Valley Farm & Garden Supply brand vegetable seeds are guaranteed to germinate. Once the seeds have sprouted, please understand that Peaceful Valley cannot be held responsible for the many uncontrollable growing and climatic conditions that must be met to ensure the success of your crop(s).
SEEDTIME FULFILLED SHIPPING (items fulfilled by Seedtime)
- We ship to the USA only.
- We offer free shipping on all products fulfilled by Seedtime with an order value over $49
- Orders placed before 12pm Eastern Time ship the same day. Orders after 12pm Eastern Time will ship the next business day. Timing applies to orders in the lower 48 States.
- Standard delivery time is 3-7 business days.
- Easy 30 day returns or exchanges.
Your satisfaction means the world to us which is why all of your orders are backed with our 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee. Either you love it, or you can return it for an equal exchange or get a full refund. Just send us a support ticket to email@example.com and we'll be glad to help you with your return.
Other Vendor Fulfilled Shipping
We offer products that are fulfilled by other vendors with the following rates:
The Farm On Central: $9 flat rate
Farmers Friend: Free shipping to contiguous USA
Peaceful Valley: $5 for up to 5 seed packets and then free shipping on seed packets after that. $10.99 flat rate for bulk seeds/larger weight items.